|Nestled amidst a ring of
majestic Kerry mountains and at the head of an unspoilt bay, the
charming little town of Kenmare offers a range of activities from
hill walking, touring and fishing to golfing and horse riding.
It sits at the start (and end!) of two beautiful rings, the famous
Ring of Kerry and the delightful, but less advertised, Ring Of
Beara. Many guests base themselves here for touring both and for
visiting Bantry, the Dingle peninsula, Killarney National Park,
Killarney Town and other parts of Cork and Kerry.
Click here for
detailed directions to Willow Lodge BnB Kenmare.
Those arriving from Shannon Airport & from Dublin down to
Limerick - start from number 1 below
Those arriving from Cork Airport & coming from Dublin to Cork -
start from number 18 below
Those arriving from Bantry , Glengariff & Ring Of Beara -
start from number 33 below
Those arriving from Sneem , Ring Of Kerry & Killarney via
Molls Gap - start from number 38 below
1. From Shannon Airport follow Signs for Limerick (N18).
2. From Limerick follow signs for Killarney.
3. Pass through Adare (N21).
4. Carry on through Newcastlewest (N21), Abbeyfeale (N21) & come
5. Proceed through town & take N23 towards Farranfore, home
of Kerry Airport.
6. Carry on past Airport and shortly come to a T junction with N22.
7. Turn left onto the N22 & head towards Killarney.
8. On arrival at Killarney come to a circular Roundabout
(see a “Lidl” supermarket on right, & see Killarney Court Hotel
on left across the roundabout.)
9. Take the first (i.e. left) exit towards Cork (N22)
10. Shortly Come to another circular Roundabout (see a “Kiely” store
on left as you approach the island,
see Super Valu supermarket & petrol
station on left across the roundabout.)
11. Take second exit at this island (i.e.; go straight across ), pass Killarney
Quality Hotel on right and (shortly)
Killarney Heights hotel on left.
12. You are in a deceptive 30 mph area going down hill but be warned, it is heavily
monitored by the police with
cameras, static patrols and God alone knows what!
13. You are headed towards Cork
14. Shortly pass over a Level Crossing and then a bit further on pass O’Brien's
petrol station on right
(predominantly green in colour at the time of writing)
and a church on the left. O’Brien's usually does a reasonable
petrol, so fill up here if you need some as it is more expensive usually in Kenmare.
15. Shortly pass a B&B on right called “Salmon’s Leap”
16. Shortly come to a right turn and take it. Now headed towards Kilgarvan & Kenmare.
17. Pass Loo Bridge Bar on right (oldest Pub ?) Now skip straight to directions
starting at 45 following.
18. From Airport descend towards Cork and pick up signs for N22.
19. Leave Cork on N22 headed for Killarney.
20. Pass through (N22) Ballincollig (actually you "bypass" it now on
a lovely bit of new road !), Lisarda & Macroom
headed for Killarney.
21. On leaving Macroom reflect if the car in front is driven by an idiot & too
Will you go insane if you are behind him/her for the next 15 or so miles ?
If so , overtake at the first opportunity because the mother of bendy roads starts
22. Pass “Mons Bar” on left and almost immediately start slight ascent
and bendy road.
23. Some miles later be delighted to descend into Ballymakeera & Ballyvourney.
24. Keep straight on for Killarney (N22).
25. Pass The Mills Bar/Hotel on right and begin ascent into Kerry Mountains.
26. Pass “Kerry” sign on left.
27. Shortly on the left see “Quills” advertisement on side of a deserted
28. This stretch of road is too good to resist – so beware Garda speed
traps everywhere !
29. Keep straight on but notice Statue of a Unicorn high up on left and see sign
for Our Lady Of Wayside Church on right.
30. See large house on left and a “left turn” with a slip road leading
31. Turn left at this point, following signs for Kilgarvan & Kenmare.
32. Pass Loo Bridge Bar on right (oldest Pub ?) & skip straight to directions
starting at 45 following.
33. Follow N71 into Kenmare and arrive at Suspension Bridge
34. Proceed over Suspension Bridge and keep straight on.
35. Arrive at Halt sign with Post Office on Left and Finnegan’s corner
shop on right.
36. Go straight ahead down Henry Street.
37. Now skip straight to directions starting at Note 57 following:
38. Observe Whytes Centra Supermarket & Petrol Station on Left.
39. Pass “Credit Union” on right and also green coloured garden centre
40. Cross bridge over river Finherty and enter Kenmare.
41. Observe Road to left and turn left into that road.
42. Go straight up and pass small park on right.
43. Come to T Junction. Turn left.
44. Now skip directly to directions starting at 60 following
45. Enter Kilgarvan and notice Healy – Raes Bar on right in middle of village.
46. Jackie Healy – Rae is a local independent TD (Congressman or Senator
47. You might meet him in here (no promises though!) Great “Craic” and
48. On right also notice “MACE” supermarket. This is owned by Michael
Healy – Rae.
49. Michael (Jackie’s son) is a former Lord Mayor of Kerry you might meet
him in here. He is a loveable chap
and very, very good natured and friendly,
a great ambassador for Ireland. Not the cheapest Petrol I think,
but lots of
sweeties, sticky buns etc !
50. Keep straight on for Kenmare.
51. Enter Kenmare and see Lansdowne Hotel ahead of you.
52. Feel tempted to turn right - but don’t - it is one way & we do
not want you to crash !
53. Go straight ahead (Shelbourne St), Lansdowne Hotel on right, see Park hotel
54. Pass (are you tempted to stop ?) the Garda (Police) barracks on left.
55. See “An Post” (Post Office) looming ahead.
56. Turn right into Henry Street and immediately see Spire of Holy Cross church
57. Pass many interesting pubs and shops which you will want to come back to
58. At cross roads see McSwiney’s on Left, AIB Bank on right and Quills
59. Proceed straight over - passing small park on left and the side of Quills
on your right.
60. See Holy Cross Roman Catholic church ahead of you and a car park opposite
it. Keep going straight, enter neither Church nor Car Park at this stage !
61. Observe Willow Lodge on left, first house past the Church. Drive in and relax.
Back to top
Has been approved by Tourism Ireland/Fáilte Ireland and the Town & Country
Homes Association (now B&B Ireland)